Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Qualitative Research

Once again, this week, we are to look at our classmate’s blogs.  I enjoy this type of assignment because it is interesting to read about my classmate’s interest and opinions.  While many of their interests differ from mine, I am able to learn about topics I normally would never consider to read.  By doing so, I am enlightened with new perspectives about the Public Relations field.
The first blog I looked at this week was Kayla’s.  I enjoy ready Kayla’s blog because fashion is a big interest of mine.  She brings up qualitative research and its importance in the fashion industry. Kayla says, “it is used to observe perceptions and attitudes of people in their natural environments. So next time your at the mall watch out, someone could be watching you to see what you buy! Ethnographic research in terms of Shop-a-longs are often times conducted so researchers can observe consumers shopping in their natural environments and see their different attitudes toward products.”  In reality this makes a lot of sense.  When I go shopping, I never seem to wonder how do they know what people are buying.  But I guess it’s happening when we don’t even know it.
Another blog I looked at this week was one I could really relate to. Kaitlyn, herself, performed a focus group where she interviewed 10 juniors about the current York Hill conditions.  One topic that struck my interest was about the lack of nurses available in the health center.  One participant, who was an RA, said, “many of his residents have been sent to the hospital because of the lack of nurses up here.”  This comment is frightening.  The fact that health services is free to students and are forcing students to take themselves to the hospital is far from convenient.  For the price we pay to attend school at Quinnipiac, if anything they should be able to supply us with the medical assistance we deserve.  As for the café at Rocky Top, I feel the same way as those interview.  I would go to the café more if I were sure there was going to be something to eat.  Numerous times I have gone to find little to nothing prepared.   At breakfast time, they don’t even have hash browns.  While they have all the resources, they tend to not use them.  I guess I don’t understand.
All in all, my classmates have made good points when it comes to qualitative research.  Believing that only a limited number of things can be researched through qualitative means, I can now say I was wrong.  Applying to more than just a few instances, qualitative research is actually quite helpful and easy to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment